Monday 14 November 2016

Scrappy Skyline

When I saw that Shannon Brinkley was doing a quilt-a-long for her scrappy skyline patterns I jumped at the chance. I have loved her world map quilts for a while now, and the quilt-a-long was a good opportunity to give her Scrappy Appliqué technique a go.


It is a fun and pretty easy technique for the most part. I loved pulling fabrics from my scraps and then cutting out the London skyline. My biggest difficulty came when I needed to appliqué the skyline to the quilt top. I didn't have any stabiliser, and so trying to satin stitch or even zig-zag stitch around the outline made everything pull out of place. In the end I just did raw edge appliqué and used some Fray Check so that hopefully all the little details won't disappear over time. I also quilted over the skyline with matchstick quilting, using three different colours of Aurifil thread. 


The quilt was still looking a bit plain so I enjoyed practicing some FMQ swirls, and then went back to straight lines in the green section to try to draw the eye towards the skyline! 


I used a long hoarded fabric for the back, and resorted to stripy binding - always one of my favourites!


This quilt has been gifted to my new little nephew who was born in London - perfect!

Scraptastic Tuesday

10 comments:

  1. Perfect! I'm sure it will be treasured!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely and unusual. Well done.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting approach and turned out really lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This turned out beautifully! And what a perfect backing, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this Deb! Your quilting is amazing! I wish I had taken some lessons from you while you were here.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful skyline! Lucky nephew....Thanks for linking up to #scraptastictuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how I knew which city this is without hints. It must be an effective skyline!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thats really cool, I love the effect!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kata Eko June kapan-kapan mampir ke Malang, di Malang Dreamland cari makan Kuliner Malang dan cobain resto seafood di malang

    Jangan lupa bisa pakai jasa centang biru instagram .

    Kalo capek jalan-jalan di Malang, bisa pakai minyak sumber waras dipijetin sama bundapedia

    ReplyDelete