Friday 25 July 2014

Pretty Liberty and Hand Quilting

While we were on our travels I did manage to get some hand stitching done (not much admittedly, but there was the occassional evening when I was able to just sit and sew!).

P1100070

First up was this little Liberty table runner. The hexies are tiny (less than an inch I think) but I used EPP to stitch them together and then appliqued them onto the Essex Linen. I hand quilted around each flower, first in a pale blue Aurifil 28wt thread, and then in a pale pink Gutermann quilting thread. I wanted something subtle and pretty, but I think this may have been just a bit too subtle! Because I didn't have access to my fabric stash I ordered some premade Bias binding from The Polished Button which I thought would add to the prettiness of the Liberty fabric, and for the backing I used some Klona cotton which I bought when I visited the lovely Backstitch shop in Cambridge. I finally finished stitching the binding down yesterday, and I have to say, I like this small finish!


 The second project I worked on was a mini quilt for the Schnitzel and Boo Mini Quilt Swap Round 2.  My partner didn't have a blog, but from what I could tell from her Instagram feed anything Bonnie and Camille was the way to go. I was lucky that I had a mini charm pack of the April Showers fabric range in my stash, so I paired this with other similar coloured fabrics and made a 'Mini-dwell' quilt. Cutting out all those tiny pieces nearly got the better of me, but I did it in the end and managed to get the top pieced before we left Indonesia. I then hand quilted it and hand stitched on the binding while we were travelling. Thankfully my partner liked it, along with the other 'extra's' that I included!


Linking up with TGIFF and Finish it Up Friday today!

21 comments:

  1. The Liberty table runner is too pretty for words and sometimes subtle is best especially with the delicate Liberty fabrics. They could so easily have been overwhelmed by the quilting. I should think your partner would be well pleased with the mini mini quilt. I don't know how you have the patience to sew the tiny bits. Very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are both adorable, but I am trying to get a sense of scale on those teeny-tiny houses. If they were cut out of a mini charm pack ... yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your hexies are so sweet, I like the way you quilted with 2 different threads around the hexies. The binding is really pretty. I bet your swap partner was so happy to receive your mini dwell quilt, it's absolutely gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I ever try my hand at EPP hexies, I will try to keep your beautiful table runner in mind. I cannot fathom making enough of them for a full quilt, but your table runner is lovely! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The runner is beautiful, and I love your swap package. The little houses are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There seem to be a lot of hexies around at the mo. I got a set of templates but have been too scared to try it...I don't have much patience for fiddly things. Your table runner would be a good place for me to start. Thanks for sharing your lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love those houses, and the little bag as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not surprised your partner loved it - I'm quite envious:-) Your runner is lovely too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like those houses and hexies, yummy. Pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful runner, those fabrics are gorgeous, and I'm not surprised your swap partner was happy, what a lovely package to receive.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I love any hand sewing, because I cant do it :( Id be thrilled to get a package of such quiltiness :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous! Those are really lovely items.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You hand sewed the binding on both projects! Amazing the little houses are to cute and of course I love the Liberty hexies, can't wait to start on mine! Great minds think alike!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I dont know where to start! it's all so utterly gorgeous! the hexies, the hand quilting, that mini quilt!! so gorgeous !!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love everything you've made! The table runner is perfect and the mini quilt so fun. Did you follow a pattern for the houses?

    ReplyDelete
  16. The binding worked beautifully around your hexie runner, very pretty! Love your swap gifts too, those extras are very generous of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your small finishes are delightful, even if somewhat tedious to complete. It's refreshing to try a variety of ideas and techniques.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Delightful finishes, I like the subtlety of your quilting on the table runner.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your little liberty hexis are delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your mini Dwell! I really want to make another one (and a big Dwell!). Lucky partner!

    ReplyDelete